Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Vegan Black Rice Pudding


For my birthday (again, thanks Megan and Taylor!) I got the new edition of Vegan Lunch Box, a cookbook by Jennifer McCann, the same name as the blogger of veganlunchbox (go figure!)

I've tried a couple recipes in here so far and today finally got to try the Black Rice Pudding. It was SUPER easy, SUPER tasty and sure to be a repeat. My only irk is that it says it serves 6 and good thing I didn't make a 1/2 batch, because I am fairly certain I could eat half of the batch in one sitting.

Here's the recipe and above is a some-what blurry photo:

1/4 pound raw black rice (found mine at Lifesource), rinsed and drained
1 (14 oz) can light coconut milk (I happened to have a can, but next time I'm going for the full fat homemade version)
4 tab sugar (I used a tad less)
pinch salt

Cook the rice until tender in water to cover (30-40 minutes). Drain and set aside.
Boil the coconut milk, add sugar and salt and stir for 1 minute (to dissolve).
Spoon rice into 6 individual dessert dishes and pour coconut milk over them.

I already ate one bowl while it was still piping hot. I have the rest chilling in the fridge and will have them after dinner with a dollop of homemade whipped cream. Mmmmm..........

1 comment:

Jessica said...

So, got out the kitchen scale and the rice in the recipe is equal to 2/3 cup, although you could use a bit more if you wanted....it's a thinner style rice pudding, so it could accomodate a little extra rice!