Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Kale and White Beans Recipe


I have had a bunch of kale hanging out in my fridge for a few weeks now. The glory of the produce from our CSA share is that it is so fresh it lasts and lasts! But the days were numbered for this particular one, so I needed to use it up. I tried out a new recipe and I must say it was delicious! Next time I will cut down on the sugar, as it was a tad too sweet for me and I would say that it is a must to serve it with some nice artisan bread....I had some of our homemade sourdough in the freezer and it went nicely!

Here's the recipe....the original can be found here (http://www.recipezaar.com/179716) but, of course, I doctored it up a bit!

This recipe served 2 people....with a lot of bread too!

1/2 bunch fresh kale, washed and stemmed and cut into strips
6 ounces cooked white beans (could use canned, I used some previously cooked and frozen)
3 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
1/2 medium tomato, sliced thinly or I sliced some cherry tomatoes
1/2 medium onion, peeled and sliced thinly
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions

Heat the olive oil slowly in a large frying pan. And saute onion and garlic over medium-low heat until they begin to turn color. Do not burn.

Stir in the brown sugar, oregano, and thyme. Stir gently for another minute or two until the sugar has disappeared.

Stir in the chopped kale into the hot oil mix. Stir the kale gently for a few minutes, just long enough to cook it down a bit. Do not let it become soft.

Stir in the beans, the balsamic vinegar, and the salt.

Lay the tomato slices on top.

Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top of the tomatoes.

Turn off heat, cover and let steam for 5 minutes. Serve hot.

No comments: