Tuesday, October 21, 2008

NO MORE POO


Well, it is Day #4 of my attempts at joining the "no poo" movement and all is going well. I first heard of this when I attended a sustainable living workshop and the idea has been floating around in my head for a while now. You can google it and get more info than you ever wanted, but some of the basic tenants are to get rid of shampoo packaging and eliminate the chemicals that are used in and to make the products themselves. Most people use baking soda to replace commercially available shampoo products and many replace conditioner with vinegar. This weekend I finally decided to give it a try. I bought a little travel sized shampoo bottle and each day I put a small amount (probably between a teaspoon and a tablespoon) in the dry bottle. When I get in the shower in the morning I add water to it and shake to dissolbe then dump on my head and rub it in. It doesn't lather like "normal" shampoo does and feels a bit grainy - that took a couple days to get used to. So far I am using just a teensy tiny bit of conditioner diluted with water after the baking soda. Many people experience and adjustment period to the No Poo, but so far my hair is feeling healthier and cleaner than ever.

No comments: