Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Our FAVORITE Pumpkin Muffins

I think that the girls would eat these every day if I made them that often....I usually make up a large batch and try to get some in the freezer before they are gobbled up as they make great quick breakfasts and car snacks. Since we have to go up to Portland tomorrow and since we got *another* organic pie pumpkin at the Farmer's Market today I thought I'd whip up a batch. The little one is on my lap eating one (now she is on her 3rd or 4th one) as a pre-bedtime snack as I write....

Pumpkin Pie Muffins (adapted from Ellie Krieger's recipe)

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-grain pastry flour or whole wheat flour, or a combo of both, as I did tonight
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons unsulphered molasses
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large eggs
1 cup fresh pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. (I use a silicone mini muffin tin and make 2 batches)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose and whole-wheat flours, baking soda, and spices.

In a large bowl, whisk the sugar, molasses, oil and 1 egg until combined. Add the other egg and whisk well. Whisk in the pumpkin and vanilla. Whisk in the flour mixture in 2 batches, alternating with the buttermilk. Whisk just until combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan. Bake 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of 1 of the muffins comes out clean.

Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the muffins to loosen them and unmold. Cool completely on the rack.

No comments: