Saturday, October 25, 2008

Freezing Garlic


I have never tried freezing garlic before, but have often bought those little glass jars of pre-minced garlic and kept them in the freezer to scrape out what I need for a recipe when I don't have fresh garlic on hand. I recently discovered that you can preserve garlic by mincing it and freezing it in a 2:1 mixture with oil. I used the Costco olive oil as that's what I had on hand in quantity. I didn't puree it in the food processor with the oil because I couldn't tell how much garlic I had, so I poured it into my freezer container first and the oil won't really stay mixed in (it keeps settling in the freezer) so I am stirring it at 30 minute intervals so it will hopefully freeze okay. Next time I'll just buck up and put the mixture back in the food processor and give it another whirl. Would have saved time in the end!

No comments: