Sunday, February 8, 2009

February 8th - DAY EIGHT



I am cooking my first recipe from the above book for dinner tonight....I'm excited because it has been on my "to try" list since I got the book (probably because it is one of the few color photos in the book) AND I have just about everything in the freezer for it, so it's great for my month of pantry/freezer clean out! Here are the things I am using from the freezer: chicken stock, coconut milk, chicken, red bell pepper, lime juice and everything else is in the fridge or pantry. Requires NO grocery shopping. Yippee!!!

I did go to the grocery store today, but limited myself to milk, half and half, whipping cream (because I am making some ice cream for this weekend when relatives are in town), apples and bananas and some tylenol for the kiddo. I did my weekly menu before going to the store and was happy to see that I didn't need anything at all for any of my meals this week....yep, we're well stocked!

Thai Chicken Soup with Chinese Black Rice
- makes 4 servings -

Ingredients
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 can (15 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk
2 to 3 teaspoons Thai red or yellow curry paste
1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, including liquid
1 1/2 pounds bone-in, skinned chicken thighs or split breasts
4 scallions, thinly sliced (keep white and green parts separate)
1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
1 1/2 cups cooked basic Chinese black rice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or basil
2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
Thai fish sauce or soy sauce (optional)
Lime wedges, to serve at the table

Procedure
1. In a 4-quart pot, blend the chicken broth, coconut milk, and curry paste to taste. Set the pot over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, chicken, scallion whites, and bell pepper. Bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked, 20 to 30 minutes, depending upon size.

2. Remove the chicken. When it is cool enough to handle, shred or chop the meat and discard the bones. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the rice. Add the cilantro, scallion greens, lime juice to taste, and fish sauce, if needed to perk up the flavors.

3. Before ladling out each portion, stir well to bring the rice up from the bottom. Serve with lime wedges.

No comments: