Friday, December 19, 2008

Update on the Ginger Beer



Well, I posted a while back on the making of Ginger Beer, courtesy of the book Wild Fermention. I had promised an update when we got around to sampling it (after the fermentation process ended) and that time came last night. My husband said he'd try it if I took the first drink. I said I'd take the first drink if he opened the container (I had a slight fear of an explosion of some sort!) And, thus, a deal was made. He opened. I sampled. It didn't explode. It wasn't that good. That sums it up!

For more detail.....quite a bit of carbonation did occur, which I thought was pretty darned cool. The taste however was very "beer-like" to me, but not "beery" enough for hubby. He said that it smelled like beer, but didn't taste like much. Fair enough assessment. I thought that it tasted a bit like beer, but not much like ginger and certainly all the sugars had been eaten up, since it wasn't sweet at all! This was disappointing to me.

I don't think I'll make it again, and not sure that all of this batch will be consumed, some might be contributing to our compost pile. But it was a fun experiment!

No comments: