Friday, December 19, 2008

Ahhh.....fresh produce!

After being pretty much stranded in the house for a week straight and not being able to venture to one of my favorite places....the grocery store....the Organics To You produce delivery was a much anticipated part of today. With the exception of convincing my husband to jump off the bus and run into the grocery store for milk, eggs and cheese one night this week, we have gone without any outside groceries for the entire week. Luckily I have quite the storage of both dry goods, frozen items and a very well stocked pantry....but fresh produce was one thing that was lacking. We were down to one head of cabbage and some carrots in the fridge, potatoes and squash in the garage and a bit of fruit (yes, we are well stocked!) but now...problem solved! A HUGE box of delicious fresh items....take a look! By the way, this is the first week we have gotten the "regular" bin, as we were still well stocked veggie wise from the CSA we had been getting fruit box in the previous weeks. The variety and amount of produce in this week's particular box was remarkable and I am impressed by how much of it is sourced locally. I look forward to seeing what the next bi-weekly box holds!

The girls were so excited by the bounty that they literally cheered for the broccoli and demanded that I steam some up right away and then they began carrying the leeks around the house and poking things with them. Oh, kids will be kids....

2 comments:

Hennifer said...

Yay for all the updates! How do you keep your produce fresh from your CSA for so long? I did the PO/Spud bi-weekly and I just feel like unless I eat everything the first few days i end up wasting, mostly I guess because I'm bad with any kind of greens.

I myself have also not taken enough photos of the now, nor my kids in it. I'll be sad when it is all gone.

As always thanks for sharing.

Jessica said...

My CSA goodies were mostly "keepers"....things like potatoes, winter squashes, cabbage, etc. Also, for the most part, the CSA items were picked from the field the day you get them so they are super fresh and just simply last longer than any commerical produce.

Greens are also not my strong suit, but I am getting oh so much better!