Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Really, we don't eat THAT much meat!



So....for a family who eats several meat-free meals a week (at a minimum) it seems strange that our freezer looks like a meat locker. This is for several reasons: (1) all the fruit and veggies are buried under the pile o' meat (2) we recently purchased a half of a lamb from a local family farm (3) I just picked up our 1/4 hog that was butchered from a different local family farm and (4) we found an amazing deal on salmon when we were in Washington for the holidays and so we brought back 5 whole fish with us (and have 10 more in the in-laws freezer!)

All this meat means that we're sure to be incorporating more meat into our meals, but it will be a fun challenge for me as I don't plan on meat being the "main" portion, but more an accent to some whole grains and vegetables. I have tentatively planned out the following menu for the following week:

Monday - Roasted Salmon with Lentil/Couscous/Herb/Veggie Salad (a favorite repeat around here!) (and tonight I will make some fish stock to freeze and make a salmon chowder later on)

Tuesday - Salmon Tacos with the leftover salmon....with a mexican cabbage slaw and some fresh cooked black beans. I am hoping to handmake some corn tortillas for this meal, but it all depends on if I get to the store to get my tortilla press before then.

Wednesday - Pork Chops in the crockpot with a jar of my home canned BBQ sauce (first time to try the sauce!)with roasted potatoes and squash

Thursday - Leftover pork shredded with sauce on homemade sourdough baguettes for a pulled pork type sandwich with a cabbage cole slaw type salad

Friday - Soup, possibly potato-leek or a squash soup from the freezer (something meat free for sure!)

No comments: