Friday, December 19, 2008

Opening up the ornaments

The oldest with her ornament:


The youngest with her ornament:


Posing by the tree for Grandma:


Ornaments on the head:


Although this is a bit dated, I promised I'd send these photos to the grandparents and then forgot (gasp!) so I am posting them here instead....Every year my mother-in-law gets the girls' a new ornament for the tree. The last couple years the oldest has even gotten to pick it out at a lovely Christmas shop near the beachhouse we have stayed at on the Oregon Coast. This year they opened their ornament presents as we decorated our tree. They were SO excited to get a bear and a bunny to add to the tree!

This was a family tradition of their's and my husband has a great box (and nicely organized list) of ornaments from each year of his childhood as well. Some are cute, some are handmade, some are from trips that were taken during that year (think Disneyland), some are symbols of sports teams or other activities he participated in (newspaper, band, etc.) but all are symbolic of a certain thing that was important that year - kinda like a time capsule. It's really a neat tradition and I am happy to pass it on to my kids....although I need to start that list of what ornament was from what year because my oldest is only 5 and I am already forgetting!!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Whew! I did the list of what ornaments each kiddo got each year as I was packing away the holiday stuff last night. Good thing I did it this year, because I was a wee bit confused on what years a couple of them came already! VERY good I didn't wait until next year!
Jessica