Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sweet Glazed Pecans

Clearly, Feeding the Whole Family is my favorite book right now....I just tried this recipe yesterday. While I am allergic to pecans and walnuts, I sometimes just have to have a few and this was a nice treat (and would also be good with almonds, which I am not allergic to!). Also, much to my surprise, both my kids LOVED them and it's always nice to get a good snack for them too.....I used olive oil instead of the butter as that is what the book called for (not sure why the recipe from the website says butter, but I am sure that would just add another dimension of flavor to the nuts) Oh, and the recipe in the book calls for maple syrup, not honey. Strange! Anyhow, they are delicious!



Sweet Glazed Nuts
Recipe reprinted with permission from Feeding the Whole Family (third edition) by Cynthia Lair (Sasquatch Books, 2008)

These are delicious on hot cereal, in a fresh green salad or as an excellent snack. They satisfy the need for sweets and fats in a very nutritious way.

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly coat a cake pan or 8x8 Pyrex dish with ½ teaspoon of butter or oil. Combine butter and honey in a saucepan and heat on low until syrupy; add nuts and toss to coat. Spread nut mixture into baking dish.

Bake until nuts are golden and syrup bubbles - about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally to break up clumps. Remove from oven and cool slightly; remove while slightly warm with a spatula.

Makes 1 cup
Prep time: 20 minutes

No comments: