Friday, November 14, 2008

Uses for Whey



In the past when I have made cheese I've just thrown out the whey (the by-product) but when I made yesterday's cheese I vowed to try and use it up! It seems like such a waste to just pour it down the drain. I googled and found a variety of uses and even toyed with making beet kvaas (kvass?) a whey and beet drink that is supposedly good for digestion, etc. But then figured that was likely to go down the drain as well! Maybe I'll get more adventurous and try that one some other time!



So far I made this fabulous bread with the whey - a peasant style wheat/flaxseed/honey combo. In fact, the bread is so tasty that I might just make another batch of it tomorrow.....I am also in the process of making a kale/potato soup for dinner that uses the whey in place of broth. It is looking really yummy too and I am feeling quite resourceful!

No comments: