Tuesday, November 4, 2008

All Natural Sugar Cookies

My 5 year old has been begging, whining and throwing fits to make sugar cookies for the past week.....she read in one of her kids' activity books about decorating sugar cookies and has had an insatiable desire to do so ever since! I haven't made sugar cookies in years, but the recipe I last used was full of white sugar and flours and I didn't really want to make that one again. Let's face it, no cookie is health food, but some are "healthier" than others. (Note: my daughter's book nicely informed her that sugar cookie dough is also available in a tube at the store....I shudder to think what all ingreidents that has!) Anyway, my google search came up with little that helped me, so I created my own recipe of sorts. It's chilling in the fridge right now, but I'll repost the results.

Sugar Cookie Dough

1/2 cup butter (1 stick) at room temp
3/4 cup Florida crystals organic cane sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teas vanilla
1 cup plus half of a 3/4 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
1 teas non-aluminum baking powder (I used Bob's Red Mill)

Cream together butter and sugar. Add egg. Stir in vanilla. In small amounts add dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Place dough in a covered pyrex bowl in the fridge for at least 3 hours (or overnight).

When they come out I will be rolling out the dough and letting my daughter's cut them into shapes to be baked at 350 for 5-10 minutes, until done. I am sure they will be covered with a nice layer of powdered sugar frosting, as I think that is the whole point of this experiment for my daughter!

No comments: