Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's a BIG day!

So I got on a bit of a craze this afternoon and during little's one nap I have started several projects....

First up, GINGER BEER (not the alcoholic type). I have never made homemade soda before, and we don't drink any soda anyways, so it is a bit of a random project, but it looked fun. I'm using a recipe from the book Wild Fermentation. First you have to create a "ginger bug" with fresh ginger, water and sugar. I can't go to the next step until this starts to bubble, which the recipe states may take anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks. Since it has been cold in the house lately it might be the longer time period....I'll report back on the next step when the time comes!



Next, I had to roast some more coffee beans. Which, since we had some heavy coffee drinking company this past week, I feel like I have been doing an awful lot of! Thank goodness for my i-roast. If I were still doing it in the oven I'd be REALLY tired of it!



Then I decided to make some more fresh ricotta cheese. The other day I was going to make a recipe, but didn't have any. Now, of course, I can't even remember what recipe that was, but I shall have it in the freezer for whenever I remember! The photos of the cheese making process didn't turn out that well (bad lighting) but here's one before it was strained and drained : )



Finally, I made some toasted buckwheat groat cereal (my 2 year old's favorite topping for her Nancy's yogurt). It's a simple recipe that requires toasting the groasts in the oven at 300 and then stirring in some natural almond butter and maple syrup.



Whew! No wonder I am tired and on my second pot of coffee! After all these projects we're having an easy dinner of some farm fresh eggs with grated cheese and homemade sourdough toast from my last batch of bread. I'll throw some veggies in my eggs, but have learned my lesson that the kids won't eat them if there's anything green in it!

No comments: